Friday, June 19, 2009

House in Order

What's surprised me most, and it shouldn't have, is that
in the first steps of forming this new congregation,
God has done more IN me than WITH me.

For example, when I went to the Church Plant training
before ordination, I expected some flattery, a little pump up.
I mean it takes special talent to start from scratch, right?

Wrong.

It takes a person who realizes he can do nothing without God
to gather people who are living their own lives.

So, the first speaker (Rick Warren) said he woke at 2am
and completely scrapped the advertised presentation,
'How Great the Church Is.' There were no handouts,
and the volunteers scurried to give out blank paper.
(I learned this is SOP at Saddleback : )

The new topic was 'Temptations that Destroy New Leaders.'

Can God call it or what?!

(Even odder, just a few weeks before I had actually read this
from an archived Rick Warren sermon, the only time I ever
read a sermon text on-line. Was God telling me something?)

After talk of possessions, pride, pleasure and power, I sobbed.
And then I let people be with me during this 'conversion.'

The 'conversion' of a 38-year old pastor may sound odd,
but we all sin. And daily repentance (mind-changing) is what
Martin Luther said is at the heart of following our Lord Jesus.
The 1st of the 95 Theses that changed the world says that
Jesus calls us each day to repent ('to change our minds.')

Plus, how in the world could I lead people to Christ,
if I didn't know what it's like to go through a conversion?!

We can't change the world unless we let God change us.

Another example of God getting my house in order before
letting me organize a new house of God, was money.

All my mentors said money is key to a new church start.
But as I was drafting our new congregation's budget,
God first led me to examine my personal finances.

I listened to hours of CDs on God's Financial Plan:
keep good records, budget, tithe, save and enjoy!

Then Natalie and I got a $2,500 surprise bill and
decided it was time to get our 'house in order.'

We listed all our expenses and made a budget.
We listed all our expected sources of income.
And they added up to the exact same thing.

It may take 10 years, but God provided a way out of debt!
We only have to have the discipline to keep good records
and stick to our budget.

God promises to meet all our needs, not all our greeds.

This was really the second big step for us toward a total
make-over of our approach to money. Last year,
we had been challenged by a friend's example of tithing.

Record-keeping and saving, I think, are next in line.

Again, how could I lead others to tithe and save,
to budget and keep records, to enjoy and be satisfied
with what they have -- if I hadn't gone through this myself?

Yes, it will be hard after 6 years seminary... and no budget.
That student loan money was just too easy to accept!

And yes, it's embarrassing to say I'm not a financial wizard,
but it's better to admit mistakes and fix problems now
than to let pride lead you into hiding them... or from them.

Problems are like mushrooms: they only grow in the dark,
esp. when you throw on a lot of BS manure to cover it up : )

We were both scared by the size of our debts, but we are
overjoyed that God had given us exactly what we need.

Some may say these two experiences disqualify me from ministry.
But being convinced of my own sin and facing a financial mess
actually prepared me better to begin a new ministry.

I experience first-hand what people go through when they
face their own failings and turn their lives to God.

Praise God for letting me be the change I seek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments or questions. Blessings!